Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Culthibert

Cottage (Period Unassigned), Croft (Period Unassigned), Lade (Period Unassigned), Pond (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Culthibert

Classification Cottage (Period Unassigned), Croft (Period Unassigned), Lade (Period Unassigned), Pond (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) New Mains

Canmore ID 107504

Site Number NJ61SW 21

NGR NJ 6327 1113

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/107504

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Cluny
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ61SW 21 6327 1113

New Mains [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1972.

(Location cited as NJ 6330 1114). Vertical air photography (Jasair NJ 61 35-88-019, dated 8 October 1988) has recorded the remains of a farmstead on a N-facing slope.

M Greig 1995; NMRS, MS/712/10.

(Classification changed to Cottage; Croft; Lade; Pond). The steading of this croft is situated 600m SSE of the modern farmstead of Culthibert (NJ61SW 30) and is named New Mains on the OS 1:10,000 map (1972), which depicts a roofless building and part of an enclosure. The building is a cottage, which measures 9.9m from NE to SW by 5.2m transversely over walls 0.6m in thickness. A fireplace can be seen in the SW gable, which stands over 3m in height. There is an entrance midway along the SE side and a small outshot is attached to SW end. The footings of an L-shaped range, with its open side facing ENE, are visible to the NW. This contains a byre in its S wing and a threshing barn in its N wing. The barn has a wheel-pit set against its NW side, and the wheel was originally supplied with water via a lade leading downslope from a pond to the SW. The cottage and the byre are shown roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire, 1869, sheet lxiii), but the threshing barn was only added later in the 19th century (OS 6-inch map, Aberdeenshire, 1901, 2nd edition, sheet lxiii.SW).

In 1869 the improved croft land extended to just over 12 acres (c.4.9ha); by the end of the 19th century this had increased to about 15 acres (c.6.1ha)

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, RJCM), 28 October 1998.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions