Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Craignish Castle, The Clock House

Farmstead (Post Medieval)

Site Name Craignish Castle, The Clock House

Classification Farmstead (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Craignish Mains; Mainsfarm; The Steading

Canmore ID 106726

Site Number NM70SE 29

NGR NM 77182 01751

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/106726

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Craignish
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM70SE 29 77182 01751.

This home farm which is built around a courtyard, is entered through a pend in the symmetrical decorative E front. Its barns and stables are to the N. There are byres and stables to the W and S and these have surviving stall fittings. The farm is built of harled rubble with slate roofs.

Information from RCAHMS (SS) 10 January 2006.

Activities

Field Visit (May 1984)

This steading, situated 120m N of Craignish Castle (No. 121), is composed of single- and 1 1/2- storeyed ranges grouped around a courtyard and measuring about 29m square over all. The SE portion has been converted to a dwelling, but the W and N quarters retain the stalls and divisions for stable, byre and loose-box. The masonry is of harled rubble with some decorative detailing, especially on the main S frontage. Vents in the N range are shaped as crosslet-loops with rounded ends. There are arched entries in the centres of the S and E quarters; the keystone of the four-centred S arch bears the date 1810, while the sandstone keystone of the outer face of the segmental E arch is inscribed JC/CC/1770, for James Campbell of Craignish. The pedestal of a columnar weather-vane on the S frontage bears the initials and date, CC 1890. A lintel in re-use in the SW gablet of the S frontage is inscribed with the date 1705 and the initials GC MC, for George Campbell of Craignish (d.l710), and his wife Margaret Campbell (en.1).

RCAHMS 1992, visited May 1984

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions