Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fortrose, Cathedral Square, The Mackerchar Hall

Chapel (20th Century), Drill Hall (Second World War), Drill Hall (19th Century), Drill Hall (First World War)

Site Name Fortrose, Cathedral Square, The Mackerchar Hall

Classification Chapel (20th Century), Drill Hall (Second World War), Drill Hall (19th Century), Drill Hall (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Union Street; St Peter And St Boniface Roman Catholic Chapel; Volunteer Drill Hall

Canmore ID 106622

Site Number NH75NW 160

NGR NH 72707 56593

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/106622

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Rosemarkie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (18 July 2013)

Built as a drill hall in 1881 by John Robertson. It is marked on the 2nd edition 1:2500 OS map. The entrance to the sandstone front block is in the gable facing the cathedral. The round-headed romanesque doorway is flanked by two matching windows with a Venetian window above. The hall lies to the right of the entrance and has four bays of recessed tripartite round-headed windows.

In 1914 it was drill station for "C" Company, 4th battalion, Seaforth Highlanders. It is now in use as a Roman Catholic chapel.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 18 July 2013.

Archaeology Notes

NH75NW 160 72707 56593

NH 7269 5660 Recording of upstanding features on the site of a derelict memorial garden in November 2003 revealed that the SW (front) wall of a cottage survived within the garden enclosure wall. A watching brief carried out during the demolition of the enclosure wall, and a series of small keyhole excavations after the demolition, showed that the cottage had been constructed c 1830-40, and demolished c 1881, prior to the construction of the Drill Hall, now St Boniface Chapel.

Sponsor: Royal British Legion Scotland, Fortrose and Rosemarkie Branch.

M Wildgoose 2003

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions