Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mamore, Peaton Road

Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century)

Site Name Mamore, Peaton Road

Classification Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) An6; Clyde Aa Defences

Canmore ID 106356

Site Number NS28NW 6

NGR NS 2254 8709

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/106356

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Rosneath
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS28NW 6 2254 8709

This battery was situated on the N side of the Peaton Road overlooking Faslane. The only part of the battery to survive is the start of the access road. The battery has been buried under the spoil from a new Royal Armaments Depot and its new access road.

Information from Mr J Guy, August 1996

(NS 2250 8698) Nothing remains of this World War II heavy anti-aircraft battery, apart from part of the concrete approach road, which was situated on the N side of Peaton Road about 700m SW of Mamore (NS28NW 13).

J Guy 2001; NMRS MS 810/11, Part 2, 101-2

Information supplied to RCAHMS (J Bamber 2008), and images from Live Earth would suggest that the remains of the accommodation camp survive in improved ground to the N of Peaton Road. and of a stone wall.

Examination of the vertical air photograph cover from 1945 and 1966 has identified the remains of the heavy anti-aircraft battery (106G/UK/990, frames 4310-4311, flown 9 November 1945 and OS/66/95, frame 043, flown 29 May 1966), situated on the N side of Peaton Road and N and NW of the source of the Mill Burn which runs E toward Mamore farmsteading.

The vertical air photographs of 1945 clearly show the the four gun-emplacements, devoid of guns, concrete radar ramp and Gl-mat (c.NS 2252 8714) with the main part of the accommodation camp (centred c.NS 2250 9698) set within a semi-rectangular enclosure to the N of what is now shown on the current OS maps as a sheepfold. Further huts are visible on the photographs on the W side of the Peaton Road at c.NS 2250 8698. At c.NS 2273 8692, slightly upslope of the road is a small concrete tower, the foundations of which are visible on the 1966 vertical image.

The anti aircraft battery is noted in the National Archive records as AN6 and as armed with four 3-inch calibre guns in June 1942. It is also noted in the official record as not having a radar unit, though the evidence on the ground

would suggest that it was the War Office intention to do so.

The disturbed ground around the buried gun emplacements is visible on Live Earth (Live Earth 2008).

Information from RCAHMS (DE), July 2008; Information to RCAHMS via e-mail from J Bamber 23 July 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions