Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rosneath Battery

Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century), Military Camp (20th Century)

Site Name Rosneath Battery

Classification Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century), Military Camp (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Clyde Postwar Aa Defences

Canmore ID 106348

Site Number NS28SE 36

NGR NS 2696 8154

NGR Description Centred NS 2696 8154

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/106348

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Rosneath
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS28SE 36 Centred 2696 8154

This post-war battery was located to the W of Culwatty Bay. The four gun emplacements lie in a small wood of fir trees to the N of what is depicted as a 'camp site' on the latest edition of the OS map, (OS 1:10000 map, 1990).

The battery consisted of four 5.25-inch guns which were radar operated.

Information from Mr J Guy August 1996

The engine room, radar room and stores are extant. The upper sections of the gun-emplacements are situated in a wooded area which was planted to hide them. The officers quarters are now private houses by Culwatty Bay.

Information from MR J Guy, November 1998

Additional information reveals that guns were mounted on this battery during 1952, probably installed during 1951. Records show that twenty 5.25-inch guns were disposed of as scrap on 16 July 1956 to McConnel of Coatbridge.

Information from Mr J A Guy, May 1999

Recorded in the course of Mr J Guy's survey of Strathclyde.

J Guy 2001; NMRS MS 810/11, Part 1, 115-16; Vol.2 (appendix), 13

The battery and camp had almost certainly been abandoned by 1954. The gun emplacements and remains of the camp are visible on postwar vertical air photographs (58/RAF 1453, 93-95, flown 31 May 1954) and the appearance of the battery and surrounding area would suggest that by this time it was inactive.

Infromation from RCAHMS (DE), March 2003

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions