Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Duror, St Adamnan's Episcopal Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Duror, St Adamnan's Episcopal Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Episcopal Church Of St Adamnan

Canmore ID 106009

Site Number NM95NE 3

NGR NM 99498 55541

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/106009

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lismore And Appin (Lochaber)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Argyll

Recording Your Heritage Online

Duror

St. Adamnan's Episcopal Church, 1848 The church's simple exterior belies the interest of its interior by Eden and Hodgson of London, who also added the lower crowstepped chancel, 1911 . The 18th-century (restored) organ case is of German origin, possibly by John Snetzler, with fine painted decoration, moved here in 1880 from Fort William (and before that from Aberdeen, Dundee and Leith). Stained glass set in polished granite openings by J. Ninian Comper: Our Lady, St. Patrick and St. Columba beneath the three-light chancel window's thistle-shaped tracery, 1919; to the east, and also probably by Comper, a cusped two-light window of St. Adamnan and St. Brigitta, 1929.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

Architect: Eden & Hodgson, 1848

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions