Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Glasgow, 147 Newlands Road, Holm Foundry, G And J Weir

Engineering Works (20th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 147 Newlands Road, Holm Foundry, G And J Weir

Classification Engineering Works (20th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Cathcart Works; G And J Weir; Inverlair Avenue; Weir Group Administrative Building; Weir Pumps Ltd

Canmore ID 105870

Site Number NS56SE 161

NGR NS 58091 60800

NGR Description centred

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Cathcart (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online (2008)

Weir Pumps Ltd, Cathcart Works, 147-149 Newlands Road, West Range, 1912, Albert Kahn's Trussed Concrete Steel Co., USA

American functional steel-framed multistorey foundry. Prefabricated glazed concrete panel walls, giving more glass than the 1903 concrete Jessie Street factory (see p. 00). Top floor added, 1949, James Miller. Externally identical east range built 1948. Offices & Amenity Block, 1937, Wylie, Shanks & Wylie. White rendered Art Deco, showing little of the younger Wylie's classical training. Art Nouveau wrought-iron gates. Welfare facilities were becoming popular with employers. Weirs provided a rest room and a canteen, plus a lounge, library, cinema and gymnasium at Cathcart.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press

Summary Record

G and J Weir Pumps Ltd is not depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance survey 25-inch map (Renfrew, 1863 (survey date 1858), sheet XIII.10 (Cathcart)). Only 'Holm' steading with 2 ranges of buildings, is shown. By 1898, 'Holm' steading consisting of six roofed buildings, 'Holm Foundry' centred at NS58228 60701 with two cranes at NS58231 60747 and 58229 60770, 'Cathcart Creamery' (NS58122 60713) and its well (NS58097 60722), and a Gelatine Dry-Plate Manufactury (preseumably sheet gelatine) at NS58147 60677, are depicted and named on the 2nd edition Ordnance survey 25-inch map (Renfrew, 1898, sheet XIII.10 (Cathcart)).

'Holm Foundry' is shown in an area that now constitutes the south east section of the Weir site occupied by the Test areas. The Cathcart Creamery, Holm steading and the gelatine works were demolished just prior to World War 1 to make way for the expansion of G and J Weir into what was farmland.

Information from RCAHMS (MMD), 29 February 2012.

Archaeology Notes

Weir Ltd marine engineering works is indicated at this location on a Luftwaffe aerial photograph taken in 1941.

Information from RCAHMS (KM) 9 August 1996.

Architecture Notes

This was built from 1886 onwards for G & J Weir, engineers. The W part of the office block, built in 1912, was an early example of re-inforced concrete building. Further building was carried out in 1913-14 (at Inverlair Avenue), again of re-inforced concrete construction. The main workshops date, in part, from 1913 and further additions to the 1912 office block were built in the late 1940s.

J R Hume, 1974

Architect: Albert Kahn, 1902


Photographic Survey (25 February 2009 - 17 March 2009)

Three Level 2 Building Surveys were undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd as part of archaeological works within the Flood Prevention Scheme, by Volker Stevin.

These surveys were carried out along the proposed development route, within work sections 6, 8 and 9. This focus is part of the Cathcart & Langside area of Glasgow, located within the south side of the River Clyde.

The surveys included two bridges named Devlin Road Bridge and Holmlea Bridge, and also the Flood Retaining Wall located on the River Cart at Spean Street.

Headland Archaeology 2009

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions