Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Harris, Dun Stuaidh

Promontory Fort (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Harris, Dun Stuaidh

Classification Promontory Fort (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 10520

Site Number NG08SW 6

NGR NG 0422 8316

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/10520

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Harris
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NG08SW 6 0422 8316.

(NG 0422 8316) Dun Stuaidh, Loch Rodil, is a narrow spit of land connected to the mainland of Harris to the N by a narrow isthmus, submerged at high tides. The summit is inaccessible except at the N and S ends where it is defended by stone ramparts. That to the N is 7ft wide and 2ft high, but at the S end only a remnant of wall is discernible. The fortified area is 90 yards long NNW-SSE and 26 yards across the S part widening considerably towards the N. The entrance is at the N end. Oval enclosures are situated behind the wall on the W side of the entrance and on the W side of the narrow part of the summit.

RCAHMS 1928, visited 1914.

Dun Stuaidh, the remains of a promontory fort, defined by a wall which has occupied the cliff top around the whole of the promontory but which is now greatly eroded. It is best preserved across the neck of the promontory where both inner and outer wall faces can occasionally be seen, indicating a thickness of c.2.0m. The entrance is central to this part of the wall and is approached obliquely up a fairly steep slope. The 'oval enclosure' to the W of the entrance has been created by the tumbled remains of a curved wall which occurs c.6.0m behind the main wall and now appears as a sub-rectangular platform. It is impossible to decipher, and may not be contemporary with the fort. There is no trace of any other internal features.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (NM K B) 5 July 1969.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions