Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Grange House

Lairds House (18th Century)

Site Name Grange House

Classification Lairds House (18th Century)

Canmore ID 104811

Site Number NO40SE 19.01

NGR NO 47753 00178

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/104811

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Elie
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Site Management (18 September 2000)

Classical Laird's House incorporating earlier building, 3 storey, 5 bay front to south: door at centre has lugged surround and cornice over, flanking windows have plain projecting margins. Outer bays advanced with round-headed key-blocked windows at ground and 1st floors, oculi at attic and gabled with straight skews, moulded skew-puts and rectangular coped and corniced stacks, rubble walls with ashlar dressings, remains of harling at flanks and rear, roofless. Quadrant walls link house to single-storey rectangular pavilions at SE and SW. The SE pavilion has a blocked door to the west and a piended pantiled roof. The west pavilion, now GRANGE Cottages has been modernised and enlarged with single-storey extensions to south and east, harled with a gable to the south and pantiled roof piended to the north. Quadrant die-walls, formerly with railings over, from the pavilions close the fore-court to the south with a pair of panelled and corncied ashlar gatepiers at cen.

Although roofless the building survives almost intact to the wallheads. Shown as a ruin on 1855 OS Map. The farm-house built shortly after this date to replace Grange House is not too altered to merit listing.(Historic Scotland)

It has been suggested that the Earl of Mar held meetings in the house with fellow Jacobites (includings the owners, the Malcolms of Grange) during the 1715 uprising.

Activities

Photographic Survey (May 1965)

Photographic survey of Grange House, Fife, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1965.

Field Visit (11 June 1974)

NO40SE 19.01 47753 00178

(NO 4777 0016) There are no remains that can be associated with a grange (see NO40SE 19.00). At NO 4775 0017 are the roofless remains of the 18th century laird's house, latterly a farmhouse (SDD List 1963).

Visited by OS (JP) 11 June 1974

Desk Based Assessment (17 September 1999)

The farmsteading, comprises one roofed building which was the 18th century laird's house, two small unroofed buildings annotated 'Ruin' and one enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Fife and Kinross 1855, sheet 26). One unroofed building and two roofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1987).

Information from RCAHMS 17 September 1999.

Desk Based Assessment (16 March 2012)

A desk based assessment of this building was made by RCAHMS Threatened Building Survey following a consent/planning application for alteration works at the site being submitted to the local authority.

A request for RCAHMS to carry out a non-statutory survey of the site was made via online planning portal and correspondence with the agent.

Planning Application ref – 12/00690/LBC

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions