Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

North Uist, Carinish, Cnoc Nan Aingeal

Cairn (Prehistoric)

Site Name North Uist, Carinish, Cnoc Nan Aingeal

Classification Cairn (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Teampull Na Trionaid

Canmore ID 10263

Site Number NF86SW 22

NGR NF 8180 6052

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/10263

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish North Uist
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NF86SW 22 8180 6052.

(Name: NF 8180 6049) Cnoc nan Aingeal is a natrual hillock of no particular shape, 300 yards NE of Teampull na Trionaid (NF86SW 24), bearing the remains of a cairn upon its north summit.

E Beveridge 1911.

There is a small mutilated grass-covered stony mound at NF 8180 6052, on top of Cnoc nan Aingeal. It is 4.8m in diameter and 0.8m high, with possible traces of kerbing on its SE side. It is possibly a small cairn but it is located in an area of extensive cultivation.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (W D J) 1 July 1965.

Activities

Field Visit (13 August 1915)

Cairn, Cnoc nan Aingeal, Carinish.

On the summit of a rocky hillock, Cnoc nan Aingeal, rising from the shore some 300 yards north-north-east of Teampull na Trionaid at Carinish, is a small cairn of stones, 12 feet in diameter, and 2 feet in height. In the adjoining marshy hollow to the east is a circular knoll, apparently rocky and natural, rising about 10 feet in height, which is surrounded a few feet from its base by a ring of stones placed in a low bank of earth. The stones have a general height of about 2 feet, are placed a few feet apart, and are very numerous on the south and west sides. The space enclosed by them measures about 110 feet from west-north-west to east-southeast, and some 102 feet across.

RCAHMS 1928, visited 13 August 1915.

OS map: North Uist xxxix (unnoted).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions