Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Convinth, Old Parish Church, Burial Ground

Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Convinth, Old Parish Church, Burial Ground

Classification Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Grave Yard

Canmore ID 101145

Site Number NH53NW 2.01

NGR NH 51205 37440

NGR Description Centred NH 51205 37440

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/101145

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kiltarlity And Convinth
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Activities

Field Visit (9 February 1970)

St Lawrence's Church - possibly of 16/17th century date, with no trace of earlier structure - is built of random masonry, roughly coursed with rubble infilling and measures approx 22.0m by 6.8m within a wall 1.0m thick. The SW gable and the NW wall stand to a maximum height of c.2.5 m, and part of the SE wall survives as a foundation, but the NE gable is destroyed. Graves occupy the interior. The burial ground is still in use.

The stone bearing the horse and rider, and the two cup-marked stones, could not be located and there is no local knowledge of them.

Visited by OS (R D) 9 Feburary 1970

Note (12 December 2019)

Date Fieldwork Started: 12/12/2019

Compiled by: NOSAS

Location Notes: We visited and searched the area. The graveyard is still in use and maintained. No cup marked stones were found in or around the graveyard.

Desk Based Assessment

NH53NW 2.01 centred 51205 37440

Location formerly entered as Centred 5123 3748.

This was once the parish church of Convinth (W Jolly 1882) 2), and was dedicated to St. Lawrence. Convinth was a parish in 1221. The churchyard contains some early stones, including one bearing a horse and rider, suggestive of the Celtic period (NH53NW 2.02). There are also two cup-marked stones, one with two cups, the other with four.

Glen-convinth church is traditionally said to have been founded by a companion of St Erchard.(W MacKay 1893)

(St. Erchard was a disciple of St. Ternan. St. Ternan lived in the 5th century). (W D Simpson 1935)

Information from OS.

T Wallace 1911

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions