Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders

Also on the Garvel estate, to the south of Garvel Docks, lies the the James Watt Dock, named after the town’s eminent son.

The first sod was cut on 1 August 1879, the foundation stone was laid on 6 August 1881 and the dock was opened in 1886. It is 2000 ft long, 400 ft wide and 32 ft deep at low water. It is now little used.

About the same time a massive river wall was built from Garvel Point to Inchgreen embracing the tidal harbours and bringing the total harbour accommodation of Greenock to more than 100 acres.

R Paxton and J Shipway

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.