Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Images (157)

Your Selection

Filter

No Available Filters

Save Search

Log in to save your search
Earlston House, Borgue.  Oblique aerial photograph taken facing south.  Prior to its demolition in about 1954.
 compare
Earlston House, Borgue.  Oblique aerial photograph taken facing east.  Prior to its demolition in about 1954.
 compare
Earlston House, Borgue.  Oblique aerial photograph taken facing north.  Prior to its demolition in about 1954.
 compare
Earlston House, Borgue.  Oblique aerial photograph taken facing north-west.  Prior to its demolition in about 1954.
 compare
Engraving of Pluscarden Abbey. Titled 'ADC. Pluscardine. In the county of Moray, about six miles from Elgin, was a Priory, founded in the year 1230, for Monks of the order of Vallis-Caullium, by King Alexander II in honour of St. Andrew. The walls which inclosed this house are still remaining, and are nearly quadrangular. The Church is almost in the centre, built in form of a cross, having a square tower in the middle. The oratory and refectory join the south end of the church, under which was the dormitory. The Chapter-house has been of fine workmanship, of an octagonal form. The remains of the Prior's house, and of the cells, are contiguous to the Church; and the whole together merit the attention of the curious traveller. This Priory is the property of the Earl of Fife.' [Adam de Cardonnel, "Picturesque Antiquities of Scotland," 1788.]
 compare
Pan House/ Machine Wing., ground floor. Interior. View from north wast. There were three pan mills on this level. All have been removed prior to demolition. Two of the bucket elevators from the pan mills and supplying the crushed clay hoppers in the adjacent pan house compartment are visible.
 compare
Interior. A5 paper machine house. A5 machine. Basement. Pre-machine refiner. This refines further the pre-refined and blended stock prior to sending onto the Headbox, Cleaner, Attenuator, Flow Box and paper machine Wire
 compare
Interior. Beater House. View of disused concrete beater chests (date unknown) for A4 papermaking machine. This is where pulp and water mixed prior to refining and sending to the papermaking machines and were superceeded by pulping vessels of stainless steel.
 compare
Interior. Beater House. View of A4 machine broke pulper vessel. This is where pulp and water mixed prior to refining and sending (as stock) to the papermaking machines.
 compare
Interior. Beater House. General view of  'broke' pulper for paper machine A4. The pulp is was fed up the conveyor and into the broke pulper which sat at the top. Water was added and the water and pulp mixed together prior to pumping into holding chests, refiners and cleaners and onto A4 paper making machine
 compare
Interior. Beater House. General view of  'broke' pulper for paper machine A5 papermaking machine (installed in the 1970s). The pulp is was fed up the conveyor and into the broke pulper which sat at the top. Water was added and the water and pulp mixed together prior to pumping into holding chests, refiners and cleaners and onto A5 paper making machine
 compare
Interior. Beater House. General view of  conveyor for 'broke' pulper for A4 papermaking machine. The pulp was fed up the elevator and into the broke pulper which sat at the top. Water was added and the water and pulp mixed together prior to pumping into holding chests, refiners and cleaners and onto A4 paper making machine
 compare
Interior. Beater House, Broke Storage. Here dry pulp or broke (known as the furnish when added to water in the pulper) stored prior to pulping in water in the 'broke' pulper for paper machines A4 and A5. The pulp was fed up the elevators and into the broke pulpers which sat at the top. Water was added and the water and pulp mixed together prior to pumping into holding chests, refiners and cleaners and onto A4 and A5 paper making machines
 compare
Interior. Beater House, Broke Storage. Here dry pulp or broke   (known as the furnish when added to water in the pulper) stored prior to pulping in water in the 'broke' pulper for paper machines A4 and A5. The pulp was fed up the elevators and into the broke pulpers which sat at the top. Water was added and the water and pulp mixed together prior to pumping into holding chests, refiners and cleaners and onto A4 and A5 paper making machines
 compare
Interior. Beater House, Broke Storage. Here dry pulp or broke(known as the furnish when added to water in the pulper) stored prior to pulping in water in the 'broke' pulper for paper machines A4 and A5. The pulp was fed up the elevators and into the broke pulpers which sat at the top. Water was added and the water and pulp mixed together prior to pumping into holding chests, refiners and cleaners and onto A4 and A5 paper making machines
 compare
Interior. Beater House, Broke or Pulp Storage. On the left, concrete gantry on which sat the broke pulper for A4 papermaking machine and the disused concrete beater chests. In this space, dry pulp or broke (known as the furnish when added to water in the pulper) stored prior to pulping in water in the 'broke' pulper for paper machines A4 and A5. The pulp was fed up the elevators and into the broke pulpers which sat at the top. Water was added and the water and pulp mixed together prior to pumping into holding chests, refiners and cleaners and onto A4 and A5 paper making machines
 compare
Photograph recording the site of Granton Gasworks, Edinburgh, prior to construction, looking W along the S boundary of the site. Buildings in the background include cottages near Granton Mains and the lodge at the entrance to Granton House.
 compare
Photograph recording the site of Granton Gasworks, Edinburgh, prior to construction, looking NW across the SW part of the site towards the lodge of Granton House.
 compare
Photograph of the coast west of the site of Granton Gasworks prior to the construction of the gasworks, Edinburgh, with a house, possibly Granton House, in the background.
 compare
Photograph of the coast west of Granton Gasworks, Edinburgh, prior to the construction of the gasworks. The top of a house, possibly Craigroyston House, just appears above the trees in the background.
 compare
View of Gaelic Church from Minto House grounds, Edinburgh, prior to demolition.
 compare
View of Maulesden House from NW prior to demolition.
 compare
Kinneil House Excavations
Frame 22 - The site prior to excavation
 compare
Construction footprint, prior to strip
 compare