Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Images (28)

Your Selection

Filter

No Available Filters

Save Search

Log in to save your search
Oblique aerial view of Bruce's Castle, taken from the ENE.
 compare
Oblique aerial view of Bruce's Castle, taken from the NE.
 compare
Oblique aerial view of Bruce's Castle, taken from the N.
 compare
Oblique aerial view of Bruce's Castle, taken from the W.
 compare
Oblique aerial view of Bruce's Castle, taken from the SE.
 compare
Bruce's Castle. The entrance to the ground floor is round-headed and has a bold roll moulding.
 compare
Oblique aerial view
 compare
Oblique aerial view
 compare
Oblique aerial view of Kinross House centred on the country house with garden and stables, and with a church, burial ground and castle in the background, taken from the WNW.
Scanned image of D 16788 CN.
 compare
Oblique aerial view of Kinross House centred on the country house with garden and stables, and with a church, burial ground and castle in the background, taken from the WNW.
 compare
View of statue of Robert the Bruce, in niche on S side of entrance to Castle.
 compare
Close-up view of statue of Robert the Bruce, in niche on S side of entrance to Edinburgh Castle.
 compare
Engraving of Closeburn Castle.
Titled 'Killosborn Castle. In Nithsdale, situated on the east side of a loch, or lake, about twelve miles to the northward of Dumfries. The stile of building is much unlike any of the other border towers, as the habitable part of the building was entered by a ladder from without, which was drawn up. The lower vaults are very strongly arched, and have a small trap in one which communicated with the great hall above; the upper and under doors have many iron grates, and are ornamented with zigzag figures similar to what are found in the Saxon architecture. This was the residence of Donegal Lord of Strathnith, in the reign of King Edgar, Alexander I and David I. In the reign of Alexander II Ivon de Kirkpatrick, of |Killosborn, obtained a charter of confirmation of these lands. Roger, a successor of Ivon, was among the first who stood forward in the cause of Robert Bruce, and was with him when he slew John Cummyng at Dumfries; for his service there, he obtained the crest of the hand and dagger, and the motto of I'll mak sicker, the words he used in stabbing Cummying. This estate is now the property of the Rev. Stewart Monteith. 1788. [Adam de Cardonnell "Picturesque Antiquities of Scotland" 1788.]
 compare
Engraving of Lochleven Castle & island showing four centre towers & surrounding walls. Titled 'Engraved by J. Storer for the Antiquarian & Topographical Cabinet from a picture by Ibbotson in the possession of Mr. Thomas Carpenter. Loch-Leven Castle, Kinross-shire. The Castle of Loch-leven stands towards the north-west part of the lake, on an island about an acre and three quarters in extent, and is encompassed with a rampart of stone, nearly of a quadrangle form. The principal tower, a kind of square building, stands upon the north wall, very near the north-west corner, and there is a lesser round one at the south-east. The other appartments were arranged along the noth wall, between the tower and the north-east corner. A kitchen, suppose to have been built later than the rest of the Castle, stood on the west wall near the south-west corner; and another building supposed to have been the chapel, between that and the great tower fronting the south. In the lower part of the square tower is a dungeon, with a well in it. Above the dungeon is a vaulted room, which, from the appearance of the effects of smoke on the jambs of the chimney, seems to have been used as a kitchen. No date or inscription appears on any part of the buildings, excepting only the letters R.D. and M.E. probably the initials of Sir Robert Douglass and Margaret Erskine, his wife. The whole circuit of the rampart is 585 feet. It is generally understood that the roof was taken off the Castle about a century ago; some part of which, particularly that of the round tower, is said to have been repaired by Sir William Bruce. In this place the unfortunate Mary, Queen of Scots was kept a close prisoner, and suffered from the 16th June 1567 to the 2nd May 1568, all the rigour and miseries of captivity.'
 compare
Engraving of Lochore Castle from the west.
Titled 'Lochore Castle. This Castle is built on a peninsula, on the south side of the loch of Lochore, in the shire of Kinrose, and was erected by Duncan de Lochor, in the reign of Malcolm IV anno 1160: it consisted of a strong square tower, with many lower buildings, surrounded with a wall, having round towers at the corners; the wall on three sides are washed by the water of the loch or lake, which formerly abounded with pike and perch. In the reign of Alexander II. Adam de Lochor was Sheriff of Perth; David de Lochor is in 1255 also Sheriff; in 1289 Hugo de Lochor is Vicompt de Fife, as is Constantinus in 1292; David de Lochor is named in Ragman's Roll in 1296. In 1315 Thomas de Lochor was in the Parliament at Air that tailzed the Crown, and his seal is appended to that act. In the reign of King Robert Bruce the estate came by marriage to Adam de Valloniis, and from them again by marriage to Sir Andrew Wardlaw. Over the door in the tower is inscribed "Robertus de Wardlaw" who greatly fortified and repaired it. This view is from the west.' [Adam de Cardonnell, "Picturesque Antiquities of Scotland," 1788.]
 compare
Engraving of Ravenscraig Castle. Titled 'ADC. Ravens-craig. In Aberdeenshire, situated on the water of Uggie, near Peterhead, was a Castle of great strength; the river, which is of considerable depth, washes the walls on the north side. It was likewise defended by a ditch and a draw-bridge in the front. The walls are of great thickness, in which are several small apartments, with loop holes. There is no tradition as to the time when it was built, nor by whom. It appears from an old manuscript account of the Marischal family, that Sir Edward Keith, the 15th in descent from him who flew Camus, the Danish general, at the battle of Barry, in Angus, in the reign of King David Bruce, obtained, by marriage with Lady Isabella Keith, the whole parish of Peterhead, in which this Castle lies.' [Adam de Cardonnel, "Picturesque Antiquities of Scotland," 1788.]
 compare
Engraving of Roslin Castle, interior view of part of north wall. Titled 'ADC. Roslin Plate II. At what period this Castle was built is not certainly known;  but we find that, about the year 1100, William de Sancto Claro, son of Waldernus Compte de St. Clare, who came to England with William the Conqueror, obtained from King Malcolm Canmore a grant of the lands and barony of Roslin. Sir William Sinclair, the 8th of the name, was the favourite of the brave Sir James Douglas, and accompanied him on his journey to Jerusalem with the heart of King Robert Bruce. They fell together fighting against the Saracens in Spain, anno 1330. This estate is now in the possession of Colonel Sinclair ofSinclair. The above Plate gives an inside View of part of the north wall of the Castle.' [Adam de Cardonnel, "Picturesque Antiquities of Scotland," 1788.]
 compare
Drawing, after conservation, of elevation of Gateway with proposed statues to Bruce & Wallace.
 compare
Verso of drawings, after conservation, of elevation of Gateway with proposed statues to Bruce & Wallace.
 compare
Drawing, before conservation, of elevation of Gateway with proposed statues to Bruce & Wallace.
 compare
Oblique aerial view of Kinross House centred on the country house with garden and stables, and with a church, burial ground and castle in the background, taken from the WNW.
 compare
Oblique aerial view of Kinross House centred on the country house with garden and stables, and with a church, burial ground and castle in the background, taken from the WNW.
 compare
Oblique aerial view of Kinross House centred on the country house with garden and stables, and with a church, burial ground and castle in the background, taken from the W.
 compare
Oblique aerial view of Kinross House centred on the country house with garden and stables, and with a church, burial ground and castle in the background, taken from the W.
 compare