Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date July 2014

Event ID 980103

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


Lochaber, Gleann Righ, Creag nam Meall, NN06SE 24.02 Outbuilding

This roofless, slate-built building at the mouth of the slate quarry (NN06NE 24.00) measures approximately 3.0m in length by 3.0m and is of drystone construction.There is no evidence of fenestration.

This building is not depicted on the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map (Inverness-shire (Mainland), surveyed 1870 (published 1873), sheet CLXVI) and on Ordnance survey 6-inch map (Inverness-shire (Mainland), surveyed 1899 (published 1903), sheet CLXVI), although the abandoned slate quarry to which this building is associated is depicted but not named on both maps. The site and Creag nam Meall (Rock of the Hillocks) on which it sits is now in a Forestry Commission plantation.

The slate outcrop at Creag nam Meall sits within the Ballachulish slates which are found on the south side of Loch Leven running south west for 6 miles and north east of the Loch Leven and from North Ballachulish Quarry to 1.5 miles east of Onich and north east for 7.5 miles almost to Glen Nevis. Such quarries in the Ballachulish area supplied slate to a country where a durable roofing material was needed.

J E Richey and J G C Anderson (1944)

Visited by RCAHMS (MMD/IA), 30th July 2014.

People and Organisations