Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Publication Account

Date 2013

Event ID 967570

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/967570

The oldest railway passenger station beside a live line? A two-storey booking and parcel office with ornate bargeboards stands beside a timber kingpost awning on nine iron columns with stone plinths: the platform height has risen around these. The shelter is steeper in pitch than at any subsequent station. A siding accessed workshops at 261 Brook Street, perpendicular to the line. A timber cabman's shelter of 1907 is north of the track, again used by taxis. The railway, and later the trams, allowed Broughty Ferry to adapt from fishing village to affluent suburb.

In 1999 Railtrack sought to demolish the surface buildings of the station. This was refused and instead the station has been well restored, later accretions that obscured the canopy removed along with a timber footbridge (1877, twisted) and signal box (1887), re-erected in 2012 so as to no longer span the line. Now trains are calling much more frequently then hitherto.

M Watson, 2013

People and Organisations

References