Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains

Date 25 October 2013

Event ID 965858

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type World War One Audit of Surviving Remains

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/965858

The Coplaw Street drill hall is shown on the 2nd epoch map (surveyed c1893) and (in extended form)on the 3rd epoch (1909-10) OS maps of the area. The hall was built in 1884 by John Bennie Wilson as a Drill Hall . It was extended west by Wilson in 1903. It appears that only the extension now survives. It comprises two storeys and and an attic with baronial details. Ashlar walls, slated roofs. Single and mullioned windows, first floor oriels in gabled outer bays. castellated three-storey square entrance tower right, conical-roofed bartizan left.

In 1914 the hall was the HQ of the 7th battalion Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and the base for its"A" to "H" Companies.

The drill hall was later converted to a leisure centre.

The hall, apart from the 1903 extension, has been demolished. The extension now appears to be housing.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 25 October 2013.

People and Organisations

References