Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).


Date 26 September 2011 - 7 October 2011

Event ID 963745

Category Recording

Type Excavation


NC 1517 3149 As part of the Life and Death in Assynt’s Past Project an excavation of a single building within the Glenleraig Township was undertaken 26 September–7 October 2011. The building is one of around 50 structures within the township, which was cleared in 1812.

The excavation revealed that the building was a typical long house, with accommodation for both people and animals, although no internal division separating the two distinct areas was found. Partial floor remains and a central hearth were recorded in the ‘house’ end of the building. The hearth appeared to have been fed by flues which indicated that it may once have been a more complex structure. The byre end of the building was split into two areas on a longitudinal axis. One half of the area had been lowered and a slope formed by the deliberate reduction of the underlying bedrock, possibly to enhance drainage. A raised platform and stone kerb had then been built to create a level area. The only entrance to the building appeared to have been through the byre.

A small number of ceramic fragments and glass were recovered from inside the building, together with the remains of a boot and a single unidentified iron object. Initial examination of the pottery indicated that it is of good quality and predates 1780. The assemblage of predominantly cream wares includes a Staffordshire mug. The presence of good quality wares suggests that the inhabitants had a certain amount of disposable income.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: Heritage Lottery Fund and Highland Leader

AOC Archaeology Group, 2011

People and Organisations