Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 15 August 2009

Event ID 959605

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


Hatton House has been demolished and levelled. The old building’s foundations survive in part to at least 1.5m below ground and remnants of the outer walls are partially extant on the south and west sides. These exposed walls include the base of the two turrets and the main entrance porch. An arched culvert opens out from the wall immediately east of the west turret. The walls on the south side are overgrown and are in a poor state of repair. The present house is a T-shaped bungalow occupying the west side of the foundation platform of the manor house. The west wall of the bungalow is built over the foundations of the west wall of the manor, incorporating them into storerooms built below. In the west face of a modern wall on the west side of the bungalow is a wall sundial dated 1675. The date includes a monogram made up of the letters CMEL (Charles Maitland and Elisabeth Lauder). Northeast of the bungalow is a modern barn or shed. East of this are two more barns, forming a long range in the old east drive.

Archaeological Services Durham University, 15 September 2009. OASIS-id: archaeol3-64466

People and Organisations