Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Land Parcel 2 – Castlandhill House, Fife

Date 19 April 2011 - 21 April 2011

Event ID 959564

Category Recording

Type Trial Trench

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/959564

Headland Archaeology conducted an archaeological evaluation by trial trenching at Castlandhill House, NT 12041 81844 (centred), to assess the presence/absence of archaeological features in an area identified as having good archaeological potential in the Forth Replacement Crossing Environmental Statement (Jacobs Arup, 2009). The work was commissioned by Transport Scotland, managed and monitored by Jacobs Arup and undertaken in advance of the proposed commencement of construction works. A total of 5 trenches (84.75m2) were excavated comprising a 2.3% sample across the area. A small building was found in the south-eastern corner of the site. The trench was extended in order to identify the limits of the building, which established that it was rectangular in shape and had associated external features. The building is depicted on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1856 and is the southern gate lodge associated with the Castlandhill House to the north.

Information from Oasis (headland1-104153) 26 March 2013

People and Organisations

References