Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Essential maintenance

HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:

- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)

 - Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)

 - Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)

 General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

 We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

 

Field Visit

Date 26 July 1924

Event ID 932173

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/932173

Teampull Chaluim Chille, Balivanich.

This ruin stands on a slight eminence in a marsh ¼ mile south-east of Balivanich. The church has been oblong on plan and, by a later extension, two-chambered, but the extent of the nave cannot be definitely ascertained, the side walls being breached. The lateral walls at the eastern end are 2 feet 2 inches and 2 feet 4 inches in thickness, while those of the nave are 4 feet and 4 feet 4 inches in thickness. The total internal dimensions are 47 ½ feet from east to west by 14 ½ feet; the gables are 3 ½ feet thick, and the eastern is reduced to foundations, while the western remains to the height of the entrance lintel. The lateral walls, breached in places, stand on an average 8 feet above the present ground level.

The masonry is rubble, roughly coursed and built in mortar, which is used sparingly in the nave and more plentifully in the sanctuary. The entrance, a lintelled doorway 2 feet 1 inch wide, is centred in the west gable; in the lateral walls are narrow windows splaying inwardly. The interior of the church is filled with a dense growth of nettles, and the structure is in bad preservation.

West of the Teampull on a similar knoll are some indeterminate foundations.

RCAHMS 1928, visited 26 July 1924

OS map: South Uist xliv.

People and Organisations

Digital Images

References