Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 2005

Event ID 928448

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


A survey of the graveyard of this site was carried out by The Association of Certificated Field Archaeologists (ACFA) in 2005. A total of 91 stones were recorded and measured, including those of the MacLeod family, which were contained within a small mausoleum to the S of the chapel remains. The graveyard measures 46m x 29m and is bounded by a stone wall surmounted by an iron railing. Within are three ruinous structures, all aligned E-W. The largest is the chapel, which is 16m x 7.5m. The early Victorian MacLeod Chapel or mausoleum is 6.5m x 3.5m. Finally, there is the small mausoleum known as the Lady Chapel, which is 4m x 3m. In addition there are 5 other enclosures in the graveyard that contain memorial stones.

The chapel is dedicated to St Moluag, a missionary saint from Bangor, Ulster. The chapel is mentioned in 1501 but is clearly older than this. It is believed that the settlement was founded by monks from Lismore or direct from Bangor in AD 569. Although the surrounding graveyard is quite small, local tradition believes it has been more extensive in the past.

J S Wood, J Macdonald 2005

People and Organisations