Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Reference

Date 1996

Event ID 923318

Category Documentary Reference

Type Reference

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/923318

Wamphray Parish Church (situated in an isolated graveyard). Neat rubble-built rectangle, by Eilliam McGowan, 1834. Round-arched windows with intersecting tracery in their top sashes. At the W gable, a slender tower carrying a birdcage bellcote, its stepped roof finished with a ball finial. Above the tower door is a re-used weathered stone, perhaps of the 11th cent., divided by a rope moulding into two unequal panels, the left carved with a circular pattern of foliage and the right with a spiralling dragon. At the ball-finialled E gable, a vestry added in 1859, designed in the same style as the church but given a steep-pitched attic in 1928.

Headstones: in the graveyard S of the church, John Burges (died 1742), the aedicular front carved with a man standing on a skull; an angel's head (the soul) in the pediment. SW of the church, James McLean (died 1774), aedicular again, with an angel's head at the top, a coat of arms in the middle, and a skull and bone at its bottom. To its N, Margaret Holladay (died 1740), carved with the full-length figure of a woman holding bones.

J Gifford 1996.

People and Organisations

References