Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date May 1976

Event ID 921775

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


The remains of this chapel are situated on the left bank of the Kilbride River about 250 m SE of Kilbride farmhouse, and

occupy a site which slopes southwards towards the river. It is an oblong unicameral structure which measures internally

10.2m from E to W by 4.7m transversely; there are the remains of a doorwav-onenine in the W half of the S side-wall The walls are of drystone rubble masonry and have rounded angles externally and internally; they measure slightly more

than 1m in thickness and stand to an average height of 0.8m. There are slight traces of an inner scarcement at the centre of the E end-wall.

The site is bounded by field-banks and natural escarpments which define an approximately rectilinear area

about 22 m from E to W- by 15m in width. About 7m SE of the SE angle of the building are the collapsed remains of a slab-roofed natural spring known as 'the priest's well' (tobar an t-sagairt).

This site is evidently of Early Christian origin, and was dedicated to St Bridget. The existing ruins, however, are

probably those of a church intended to replace those at Kildalton (RCAHMS 1984, No. 367) and Kilnaughton (No. 373), whose erection at Kilbride was decided upon in 1651. '

Crois-an T-Sagairt (The priest's cross'). This cross-marked slab of Early Christian date stood about 3-5m E of

the chapel until about 1838.2 when it was taken to Kildalton manse. It was removed to the grounds of Kildalton House in 1882, and transferred in 1923 to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. It is a rectangular slab of local

quartzitic sandstone, rounded at the top, 0.73m high by 0.24m wide. At the top of one face it bears in false relief an

outline Latin cross within a circular frame 25mm wide. The sunken areas have been lightly peeked, and the armpits of the cross, which are slightly rounded, are a little more deeply sunk. (PSAS, 17 (1882-3), 278,281-3 and fig. 4; 57 (1922-3), 294-5; Kildalton Antiquities Catalogue, no. 2; Graham, Islay, pp. 76-7, no. 77; Lament, Sculptured Stones, pi. v d).

Visited May 1976


People and Organisations