Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Store/ Girnal at Rodel

Date 16 February 1994

Event ID 899500

Category Management

Type Site Management

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/899500

2 storey 3 bay girnal in rendered rubble. The main elevation features a forestair leading to a central door at first floor level, flanked by a small single casement window to either side with 19th century glazing. Ground floor level is accessed via 3 doors on the rear elevation. The roof is in corrugated iron, whilst a walled close sits to the rear with a flat-arched cart opening. It is surrounded by a high rubble wall to the rear. A low and roofless rectangular-plan outbuilding is recessed to the right.

Presumably part of the development programme at Rodel by Captain MacLeod of Harris in the 1780s. MacLeod had purchased the island from the MacLeods of Harris, and had moved there to stay in about 1782. (Historic Scotland)

People and Organisations

Digital Images

References