Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Dunglass Castle

Date 21 February 1990

Event ID 896833

Category Management

Type Site Management

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/896833

Fragmentary castle standing on an irregular rocky cliff by the River Clyde. A dwelling house has been erected at the north west corner of the enclosure, partly old, mostly modern; north west turret has chequered corbelling. The round tower in opposite corner is probably 17th century and appears to have been a pigeon house. (Historic Scotland)

The old castle dates back to 1380, when it was the important strategic stronghold of the barony of Colquhoun. In the early 18th century it fell into neglect and was partly dismantled for the restoration of the Bowling quay. This was halted by Andrew Buchanan of Auchentorlie, who bought the property in 1812. It now stands as a fragementary castle situated on a rocky cliff by the River Clyde. The north west turret has chequered corbelling and bears the Colquhoun arms along with other devices, whilst the round south east turret is probably 17th century in date and may have been a pigeon roost. A dwelling house (now demolished) sat in the north west corner of the enclosure, incorporating older elements but mostly post-1812 in date. A doocot sits adjacent, whilst an obelisk memorial to Henry Bell also sits within the grounds.

The castle has strong links to the Glasgow Style, and was previously occupied by the graphic artist Talwin Morris (1865-1911) who became the graphic designer for Glasgow publishers Blackie and Son. Morris invited Charles Rennie Mackintosh to design the interiors. The castle's bookcase is now in the collection of the Royal Museum, Edinburgh and all other interior fittings have been removed. Mackintosh's work here led to his commission for the Hillhouse in Helensburgh.

People and Organisations

References