Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Summary Record

Date 2006 - 2007

Event ID 884918

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Summary Record


Guarding the mouth of Loch Laich from the islet of Eilean an Stalcaire. Tower house built c. 1540 by the Stewarts of Appin after the subjugation of the W Isles by King James V.

Having passed through a number of owners and states of repair, roofless by the mid C19th. In the 1960's the castle was bought by the Allward family who embarked on a full repair and restoration.


People and Organisations