Pricing Change
New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered.
Publication Account
Date 2007
Event ID 881817
Category Descriptive Accounts
Type Publication Account
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/881817
This light rod-stayed suspension footbridge was designed and erected in 1824 by John Justice Jnr of Justice & Co., Dundee. It is of light wrought-iron construction with a span of 62 ft and 3 ft 5 in. wide timber deck. There are four 9 16 in. diameter inclined stays on each side extending from the simple H-section portals to the deck. In addition there are two suspension cables on each side extending between the portals at about half height and incorporated into the handrailing. Three back-stays on either side of the towers anchor the system to the rock. The portals are
slightly off-plumb, probably due to foundation settlement.
A bold local effort probably influenced by earlier Scottish suspension bridges, accounts of which had been widely promoted by Robert Stevenson in 1821.
R Paxton and J Shipway 2007b
Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.