Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 871705

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NS06NW 3 04434 66794.

(NS 0443 6679) Stone Circle (NR)

OS 6" map (1957)

At St Calmag's, near Ettrick, there is a Druid's temple in considerable preservation.

New Statistical Account 1840

In a field on the left hand side , about half a mile farther on, are seen the very distinct and well preserved remains of a druidical temple, encircled by a grove of trees. very little seems to be known of the origin of this, or of the many other similar places of heathen worship in the island.

Wilson 1855

There is a stone circle, about 45ft in diameter, within the circular beech plantation, 460 yards south of South St Colmac. When complete, it consisted of nine stones, but now its plan and the dimensions of the stones are as given on Hewison's plan.

J K Hewison 1893

A stone circle situated within a small beech plantation in level pasture land. It comprises four complete stones (C, D, G and H on plan) and the in situ remains of four broken stones (A, B, E and F on plan). There is no trace of the ninth stone mentioned by Hewison.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (TRG) 24 November 1976

This stone circle, which stands within the remains of a small beech plantation 130m SE of St Colmac Cottages, comprises eight stones on an internal diameter of about 13m, with an outlying stone (1.7m high) immediately to the S. Of the stones in the ring, four of them are erect, ranging in height from 0.55m to 2.4m, and three survive only as stumps. The circle is enclosed within a plantation bank measuring about 33m in internal diameter; only two trees now grow within it.

There is compelling evidence that a second stone circle stood 25 yards to the W and was 'blown with powder' in the first decade of the 19th century (Aiton 1816, 118-9; RHP14262).

Visited by RCAHMS (GFG, PM) 19 May 2009.

People and Organisations