Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 867654

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/867654

NN86NE 42.00 87032 65279

Blair Atholl Station [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, April 2010.

NN86NE 42.01 NN 86875 65272 Engine shed

NN86NE 42.02 Centred NN 86937 65312 Railway Cottages

NN86NE 42.03 Centred NN 87132 65244 7-10 Railway Cottages

NN86NE 42.04 NN 87183 65243 Signal box and level crossing

NN86NE 42.05 NN 87060 65266 Footbridge

NMRS REFERENCE

Station probably opened 9/9/1863.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as N 870 653). Blair Atholl Station. Opened 1863 by the Inverness and Perth Junction Rly. A 3-platform through station, with the main offices on the up platform. These are in a 2-storey, 3-bay rubble building dating from 1869, with a single-storey wing, incorporating a dwelling-house. There is a truncated awning. On the down island platform is a small wooden shelter.

There is a wooden goods shed and a 2-road, 7-bay engine shed with a roof-ridge ventilator.

J R Hume 1977.

This intermediate station on the Perth (Stanley Junction) - Inverness main line of the former Highland Rly was opened (as Blair Athole station) by the Inverness and Perth Junction Rly on 9 September 1863. It was renamed Blair Atholl station on 7 September 1893, and remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 25 August 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

People and Organisations

References