Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 854905

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/854905

NT27NE 57.42 27085 76817

Victoria Bridge

(swing) [NAT]

OS 1:1250 map, 1970.

Formerly entered as NT27NE 61.

For successor fixed structure (Victoria Bridge, at NT 768549 27063), see NT27NE 57.59.

The hydraulically-operated Victoria Swing Bridge across the Inner Harbour, linking the Albert Dock (NT27NE 57.38) to the Victoria Dock (NT27NE 57.06), also by Rendel and Robertson, 1871-4, was replaced later with a bowstring swing bridge.

J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker 1984.

This swing bridge was once driven by the adjacent hydraulic power station (NT27NE 57.34).

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), 9 June 1993

This site has only been partially upgraded for SCRAN. For further information, please consult the Architecture Catalogues for City of Edinburgh District..

March 1998

This bridge formerly carried a private road and dock railway across the mouth of the Water of Leith on the S side of the Leith dock system (NT27NE 57.00). Its location probably represents the former shoreline.

Following the extensive remodelling of the S side of the dock estate, it now carries a road (Ocean Drive) which passes in front of the Scottish Executive (formerly Scottish Office) building (Victoria Quay: ). It is separated by fencing from the remaining operational portion of the dock system.

Hydraulic power has presumably been supplied to this bridge from the hydraulic power station (NT27NE 57.34) situated adjacent to the NE. The swinging-recess is on the E side.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 13 June 2006.

People and Organisations

References