Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 846933

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NS76NE 26 centred 7891 6919


Location: Greengairs

Previous Owners: J Crawford & Company

Types of Coal: House (landsale)

Sinking Commenced: pre-1947

Year Closed: 1949

Year Abandoned: 1949

Statistics: appears to have worked only for a short time in 1949

Shaft/Mine Details: 2 surface mines, main mine 27m (1 in 3), companion mine 18m (1 in 2.5)

Details in 1949: Output 10 tons per day, 2,500 tons per annum. 14 employees. No washer [no equipment for the wet cleaning of coal prior to sale at this mine], no baths, no canteen. Steam power, generated from small vertical boiler. Report dated 12-02-1949.

Other Details: Transferred to National Coal Board (NCB) in 1949 and subsequently closed. Situated close to earlier Darngavil collieries. The area has since been erased by opencast coal mining.


Further research has amended the grid reference from NS7855 6905 to 7891 6919.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO) June 2006.

People and Organisations