Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 846920

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/846920

NB23SW 1 21300 33017

Standing Stones of Callanish [NR]

Chambered Cairn [NR}

OS 1:10,000 map, 1974.

For miscellaneous finds in area (now in the Royal Museum of Scotland [RMS]) see NB23SW 23 (formerly recorded with NB23SW 1).

The Object Name Book (OS) decribes the stone circle thus: ' A circle of stones with one stone in the centre, two rows parallel to each other extending Northwards from the circle; one to the coast and one to the South. They are about forty in number. The inhabitants say that the numbers of these stones cannot be counted. They are the supposed remains of a druidical place of worship. They all stand on end at the distance of five and six yards from each other and are in a rough natural state as taken from the shore, it is stated that some of them are so large that it is inconceivable how they could have been brought to the place.

Name Book 1853

A megalithic setting with an obviously secondary (A S Henshall 1972) chambered cairn, and another cairn which is not necessarily part of the megalithic scheme.

The setting is basically a circle, with arms radiating approximately towards the cardinal points, the row to the north being double, forming an avenue, which is, however, closed by the arc of the circle. A single stone standing opposite the inmost of the southern alignment suggests that this may also have been double. Outside the SW arc of the circle is an outlier perhaps the rudiment or remains of a second circle (RCAHMS 1928). The stones are of unwrought Lewis gneiss, varying in thickness from 5 1/4" to 20", packed at base with small stones. The tallest, 15'7" high, stands in the centre of the circle; the others range down to 3'6". Matheson (J Matheson 1862) who had the site cleared of 5' of peat in the mid-19th century, mentions 'a rough causewayed pavement in which the circle stones are embedded'. (possibly the base packing)

The chambered cairn is set eccentrically within the circle, incorporating the central pillar within the line of its kerb on the west and two of the stones of the circle on the east. Cairn material still remains to a depth of 2' but the double chamber has been deroofed - probably in antiquity, since Matheson (J Matheson 1862) appears to have found it in much the same state as it is today. On the south side the cairn appears to be joined to a slightly raised causeway which runs down the south alignment.

The second cairn which impinges on the NE arc of the circle has been an oval of 18' by 14'; it is reduced to ground-level and the outline can just be traced. The site, unique in Scotland, lies on a hillock called 'Cnoc an Tursa' - 'Hill of Sorrow'. The stones are locally said to have been quarried from the nearly vertical face of the west side of the ridge Druim nan Eum. (NB 228 338)

J Matheson 1862; RCAHMS 1928; A S Henshall 1972.

As described and planned. Known locally as the 'Standing Stones of Callanish'.

Surveyed at 1/2500

Visited by OS (R L) 25 June 1969.

People and Organisations

References