Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 846325

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/846325

NS56NE 64.00 centred 56000 69200

Location formerly entered as NS 560 692.

NS56NE 64.01 NS 56181 69235 Sluice

NS56NE 64.02 NS 56187 69211 Sluice

For adjacent Garscube Chemical Works, see NS56NE 63.

For adjacent and associated railway bridge over the River Kelvin, see NS56NE 4893.

Dawsholm Gas Works [NAT] (centred NS 55920 69205 and NS 56050 69190)

Tank [NAT] (centred NS 56137 69244)

Tank [NAT] (centred NS 56152 69200)

Tank [NAT] (centred NS 55875 69195)

Tank [NAT] (centred NS 55928 69143)

OS 1:1250 maps, 1971 and 1976.

Dawsholm Gasworks, Skaethorn Road, built 1871-2 for Glasgow Corporation Gas Dept. (£160,000), and rebuilt 1892, 1896, 1912, 1918 and 1927. The remains of a large complex of buildings, the most striking of which was a red brick retort house, demolished c. 1968. The principal surviving structures are the one- and two-storey office block, and two rows of two-storey houses in Skaethorn Rd.

The plate girder railway bridge which linked the works with the Forth and Clyde Canal also survives.

See also: The Engineer, 33 (1872), 126, 161, 196.

J R Hume 1974.

The 'plate girder railway bridge' that is noted by Hume is presumably to be equated with NS56NE 4893.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 12 December 2005.

People and Organisations

References