Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Architecture Notes

Event ID 836580

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes



Sydney Boyd 24 November 1984:

Claverhoues Castle, Glen Ogilvie, Parish of Glamis, Angus

This castle, no longer in existence, may have been built by the Ogilvies. Survey 859, Register House (Sir Alexander Frederick Douglas Home) has (p. 91): Charter by David Ogilvie to his nephew and heir Alexander Ogilvie of the barony of Ogilvie, 26 October 1495.

William Graham of Claverhouse (in the parish of Mains, Angus), knighted in 1633, purchased Glenogilvie, which henceforward was probably his home (C.S. Terry, John Graham of Claverhouse, 1905). His great grandson, John Graham of Claverhouse (later Viscount Dundee) was, for his "good and faithfull services" granted a charter by Charles II on 11 May 1680 of "all and haill the land and baronie of Ogilvie commonly called the Glen of Ogilvie with the mannor place tower fortalice houses biggings yairds orchyairds ......" (Acta Parliamentorium Caroli II AD 1681.)

Ochterlony of Guynd, a neighbour and contemporary of Claverhouse, described the property as "a pleasant place, a good house, and well planted" (Warden, Angus or Forfarshire, vol. ii, p. 257).

Upon Dundee's death at Killiecrankie (27th July 1689) his title and estates devolved upon his son James. James died in November or December 1689 and was succeeeded by his uncle, David Graham, on whom sentence of forfeiture was pronounced on 14th July 1690. The Claverhouse properties were bestowed on the Marquis of Douglas (C.S. Terry, John Graham of Claverhouse). After the death of the third Marquis and first Duke of Douglas the property passed to his nephew Archibald (later Lord Douglas), the victor of the "Douglas cause" and later to the Earls of Home through his granddaughter's marriage to the 11th Earl.

About 1857 the site of the castle was pointed out to an Ordnance Survey investigator, who was informed that its last remnants had been pulled down about 35 years earlier (O.S. name-books no. 45 West Register House). The O.S. map of 1860 shows the site of the castle.

People and Organisations