Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 833382

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/833382

NS37SW 55 Centred 3280 7365

A heavy anti-aircraft battery, with four gun-emplacements and accommodation camp was situated in an area now occupied by Devol Industrial Estate. (NLA 44, 5.58-5.59, flown 27 August 1942)

Information from RCAHMS (DE) July 1997

This World War II heavy anti-aircraft battery which was situated to the E of the reservoir near Devol, has been totally destroyed by modern housing developments.

J Guy 2001; NMRS MS 810/11, Part 2, 158-9

This heavy anti-aircraft battery is visible on post-war RAF vertical air photographs (106G/UK 1208, 5371-2, flown 17 March 1946). The four gun-emplacements and command position are situated to the S of the road. An additional two gun-emplacements between the main group and the road may indicate that this battery was supplied with extra guns at some point during the war. The main group of at least 25 acommodation buildings are situated to the N of the road, whilst a further group of twelve are to the E of the gun-emplacements. There is no evidence on the air photographs of any radar installation (Gl-mat and ramp).

Information from RCAMS (DE), November 2002

People and Organisations

References