Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 832750

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/832750

NS57SW 199 centred 5030 7245

The remains of a 'Z' battery has been identified from post-war vertical air photographs (106G/UK 1317, 5043-5045, flown 27 March 1946), situated to the S of the Glasgow Road at Hardgate, Faifley. The 'Z' battery consisted of 64 fixed unrotating twin barrelled rocket launchers (U2P mounts) with a radar unit GL Mk II (NS 5030 7210).

An accommodation camp of about 36 Nissen huts was centred at NS 5025 7263. The battery was manned by 101 Home Guard as part of 136 Battery.

The site was originally part of the Clydebank and District Golf Course, to which it has reverted since the war.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), February 2003.

People and Organisations

References