Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 815316

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/815316

NJ26SW 151.00 centred 2318 6237

NJ26SW 151.01 NJ 23011 62172 Pillbox

NJ26SW 151.02 NJ 2318 6261 Pillbox

NJ26SW 151.03 NJ 23071 62280 Buildings

This large permanent military barracks lies on what is now the site of Pinefield Industrial Estate, and within this area many buildings still survive which are of military origin. At the western corner of the former barracks is a pillbox (NJ26SW 151.01) with a second (NJ26SW 151.02) in a field to the N.

The barracks are visible on RAF WWII vertical air photographs (106G L/NLA 96 20.03.1945, 4110) as a group of huts, buildings and H-blocks surrounding a large parade ground.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), December 2000

Pinefield Barracks are situated on the S side of the A96T road immediately E of the Bridge of Tyock. The barracks occupied an area of some 14.1 hectares with huts, buildings and other structures set around a centrally placed playing field.

Various buildings and huts survive within the Industrial Estate now occupying the site and lengths of the perimeter fence are also extant especially on the southern sector adjoining the railway. Some of the entrance metal gate posts are also still in situ.

Most of the surviving buildings are of brick with concrete lintels on the doors and windows. However at least two wooden huts are extant, and at NJ 23061 62522 and NJ 23028 62532 are two brick and concrete buildings with corrugated asbestos roofs, both with verandahs and metal hand rails. Other buildings survive amongst more recent constructions including one with a new roof, boarded up windows and what may be a small guard hut with two small loopholes at the W end (NJ 23047 62303).

The centrally placed playing field now has two new buildings built on it and many of the smaller huts visible on the 1945 air photographs noted above have been removed or demolished.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), 28 August 2007

People and Organisations

References