Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 810336

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/810336

NS40NE 78.00 centred 4700 0600

NS40NE 78.01 from NS c.4741 0593 to NS 4737 0500 Railway

For other parts of the Gunnery School see NS40SE 44, NX49NE 17.00, NX49NE 23, NX49NE 24, NX49NE 25, NX49NE 26, NX49NE 27 NX49SE 36

A First World War airfield is situated on the W side of Dalmellington in an area between the B741 public road and Bogton Loch. Nothing could be found on the site on the date of visit. (further details regarding this airfield can be found in the publication, Connon P. An Aeronautical History of the Cumbria, Dumfries and Galloway Region, Part 2, (1915 to 1930), 1985

J Guy 2001; NMRS MS 810/11, Part 1, 164-5

This First World War airfield which formed part of the Loch Doon Gunnery School, was built at this location after the failure to drain an area on the W side of the loch (NX 489 986) prevented its construction there. Seaplane hangars had also been built at NX 4820 9935 (the site is now submerged under the reservoir). This alternative site was chosen after aerial reconnaissance by Colonel Strange during 1916. Nothing can now be seen of this airfield on the post-war vertical air photorgaphs taken by the RAF. Also built at the airfield were workshops, stores and 18 brick-built barrack blocks capable of housing around 500 men and two centrally heated hangars.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), August 2001

People and Organisations

References