Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Architecture Notes

Event ID 797084

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes


Owner: Breadalbane Estates.

Architects: William Adam c.1733 original square block demolished, West block existing

John Douglas 1743-50 working at castle new sash windows 10 May 1744, Dining Room and new entry to the house and other things 1746-1750.

Norie painter work 1742-54

Mr Cheere (John?) 1745-50 statuary for Taymouth

John Paterson 1797-1804 alterations and additions his work demolished 1805

Archibald Elliott 1801

Alexander Nasmyth 1806 design for the castle and design for a bridge

James and Archibald Elliot 1810 Main Lodge and Gate

James and Archibald Elliott 1806-12

Bernasconi Plasterwork drawing room and staircase

Thomas Bonnar painted decoration Baron's Hall and turret off and small turret off drawing room.

William Atkinson 1818-24 East wing. 1825-8 Additions to West block by Adam. 1829-30 Maxwell Cross and Iron (Chinese) bridge 1828.

JG Graham 1838-9 alterations to West wing, Queen's Room, Library and Dining Room.

JG Crace painted ceiling in drawing room and elsewhere

David Bryce 1842 additions to West wing

Peddie & Kinnear 1872 small dining room sideboard


Sideboard at Kinpurnie, Angus (Sir James Cayzer) bought from Taymouth Castle sale for 10 pounds

Baron's Hall dated 1872

Extracts from Breadalbane MSS GD 112/21/77-79 accounts for work at Taymouth 1744-54

Breadalbane MSS GD 112/Section 2c/Box1 extracts from accounts all periods.

Breadalabne MSS GD 112/20/Box2/Bundle2/2 photocopy of list of plans relating to the east wing and Finlanrig Mausoleum.1824

Breadalbane MSS GD112/20/Box6/3/1 photocopy of list of plans supplied by Wm Atkinson 1826-1830

People and Organisations