Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Architecture Notes

Event ID 777747

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes


NT27NE 10 26782 76615

Also known as Cromwell Barracks, built about 1656 by General Monk.

Demolished c.1948 to make way for industrial development.

Historical file.

"The Citadel Leith"

- 1 Drawing by Rollo.

- 1 News cutting.

In the National Library of Scotland, Vol.II., No 37, of Water Colour Sketches by Thomas Brown, Advocate, is a view in this Street. It seems to show the Citadel Port. Reference "Adv. MSS. 34.8.1-3"

See under "Water colour Sketches, series of, by Thomas Brown, Advocate".

Edinburgh, Leith, Citadel Feuing.

James Gillespie Graham.

Leith, lands at the Citadel. Feuing plan, 1807.

(Edinburgh Evening Courant, Feb 14, 1807).

Sources: Dean of Guild 2.6.1814

Pet. John Martin, Merchant in Queensferry.

Corner tenement fronting the Citadel of Leith, near to the West end of therof - - precise location unknown at time of upgrade, 8.2.2000

Minor alterations - door.

People and Organisations