Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Architecture Notes

Event ID 774654

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes


Stood on the site of the West pavement of North Bridge.

Hart's Close is shown on Edgar 1742 but was cleared away for the building of the North Bridge in 1765. It was named for Andro Hart, the celebrated Scots printer, who had a tenement at the close foot, inherited by his son John in 1621, and listed in 1635 as still owned and occupied by Andro Hart's widow. (Hart's printing house was further up the High Street at Craig's Close -see NT 27SE 1141). The close may have been Henry Nisbet's Close, recorded in 1660, and was also called Ballantyne's Close, for James Ballantyne, writer, resident at some date prior to 1705. The name Cranston's Close, known to have belonged to a close lost when the North Bridge was built, may have been an alternative name for Hart's Close, or for one of the closes west of it (possibly Ley's Close or Milne Square) and might have derived from any of a number of Cranstons who served on the town council, such as William Cranstoun (1403), Thomas (provost in 1450), or Patrick (1574). (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 326)

People and Organisations