Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 771151

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NJ36NW 3 centred 34935 65365

Location formerly entered as NJ 3491 6537.

(Location cited as NJ 349 654). Ice-house and fishery, Tugnet, Spey Bay. Late 18th to early 19th centuries. A most attractive group of buildings, including a two-storey, five-bay ashlar dwelling-house block, with central elliptical-arched pend, a rectangular one-storey ashlar store and boiling house, dated 1783, with twin brick chimney stacks for the boilers.

The ice-house has three vaulted bays, turf-covered. The single low-level entrance has a re-used lintel, dated 1630, with a fish motif.

J R Hume 1977.

This fishing station is situated at the mouth of one of the most important salmon rivers in Scotland, and was a classic example of investment by an improving landowner in a local industry. It was a large operation, employing 150 at the end of the 18th century. The icehouse, a substantial manager's house, a store and boiling house (1783) survive.

The icehouse has been restored by Moray District Council and houses displays on the salmon-fishing, on wildlife and on the local boatbuilding industry.

I Shepherd 1986.

This ice house and fishery are situated on the foreshore at an altitude of 4m OD, and are open to the public at regular hours against an entry fee. The group of buildings includes a two-storey, five-bay ashlar dweilling-house block with a central elliptical pend and a boiling-house. The ice house has three vaulted bays, which are turf-covered, with a single low-level entrance. It was built in 1830 to serve the salmon fishing industry near the estuary, where netting has been carried out for centuries.

The Statistical Account describes the fishery as having buildings for overseers, coopers, etc; 150 men or more being employed at it. Ice was collected in the winter from special ponds between the salmon station and the shore. It was then broken up and carted to the ice house, where each chamber was filled up from the upper level doorways. The ice house was last used in 1968, and is now a museum.

(GRC photographs: GRA DH 12-15, 19 September 1984).

(Other bibliographic references cited).

NMRS, MS/712/106.

Stat. Acct. (1795).

People and Organisations