Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Architecture Notes

Event ID 770789

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes


Hangman's Close was named for the public lockman or executioner. In 1861, John Whyt, the "gude toun's lockman", built himself a house is Fishmarket Close "on the East side of the dwelling formerly possessed by him". (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 323)

People and Organisations