Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 769874

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NO51NW 206 51340 16732

For excavation reports etc see NO51NW 282

NO 5134 1673 Following earlier work in 1993 and in preparation for future restoration work, a second small sondage was dug below the steps of the War Memorial, St Andrews. The memorial sits on a sandstone base. On the W of this were the remains of a wall, partially truncated to make room for the above foundations. This damaged wall could be the foudations of the cathedral boundary wall, removed where the War Memorial steps were laid, or it could relate to an early house on the site, known from cartographic evidence.

Fife Archaeological Index 16/110.

Sponsor: St Andrews Heritage Services.

E Proudfoot 1995.

NO 5134 1673 The St Andrews War Memorial was demolished early in 1996, because of long-term damage caused by subsidence. As part of this and prior to rebuilding, a watching brief, from ground level, was carried out.

From 1.6m below the surface human bones were located, many retrieved only after disturbance by the contractor's machinery. At this stage it could be seen that several burials were at the base of a deep deposit of sterile back soil, while others were at a lower level in sticky brown soil.

Remains of 14 individuals were recovered, some disturbed previously, perhaps during construction of the War Memorial or at an earlier date. Slight traces of a building were identified.

A second phase of work was carried out jointly by St Andrews Heritage Services and Scottish Urban Aarchaeological Trust during June and July (see below).

Sponsors: St Andrews Heritage Services, NE Fife Council, Historic Scotland.

E Proudfoot 1996

People and Organisations