Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 757418

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/757418

NS97NW 61.02 NS 9306 7796.

This bridge, which carries the B810 road south over the Union Canal, (built 1818-22, designer Hugh Baird) is a typical example of bridges over this canal.

It is of squared rubble brought to courses, with voussoirs neatly droved, and shows a string-course of square section along the base of the parapet. Its overall breadth is 25ft measured along the tow-path but somewhat less in the centre, as both faces are slightly concave. The arch springs 6ft 4in above the tow-path and spans 33ft; the arrises of the abutment are rounded, and are deeply scored by the tow-ropes. The serial number is incised on the keystone on each face.

Visited by RCAHMS, 1954

RCAHMS 1963.

This bridge, to the W side of which an iron pedestrian bridge has been added, has a large span.

H Brown 1997.

On the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Stirlingshire 1865, sheet XXXI) and on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Stirlingshire 1899, sheet XXXInw) this bridge carries a minor road over the canal. On the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1990) and on the OS Basic Scale digital map (2000) this road is marked as Station Road.

Information from RCAHMS (MD) 19 April 2001.

People and Organisations

References