Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 744589

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/744589

NO22NW 41.01 2148 2520.

In re-use in the E wall of Pitroddie steading (NO22NW 41.00) there is an inscribed roll-moulded lintel, while in an outbuilding to the S there is a sill-stone (roll-moulded, weathered, checked and drilled for bars). The lintel bears in false relief the date 1591, the inscription LAVS DEO ('Praise be to God'), and the initials AS, with an unidentified shield (on a chevron, between three mullets of six points in chief and a ?cross-fitchee in base, a besant. These arms are not those of the Lindsays of Evelick, who held the barony of Pitroddie in 1665 (Retours).

The fragments may indicate the existence of an unrecorded laird's dwelling, probably a tower-house.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) 23 June 1989.

People and Organisations

References