Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 740312

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/740312

NS06NW 63 00565 68489

Glecknabae is a former farmsteading, now converted to residential use, which comprises a series of roofed and unroofed buildings ranged around a large courtyard that is open to the NW. ‘Glacknabeach’ is first depicted on Roy’s Military Map (1747-55), but it is shown in greater detail on a contemporary estate map (Foulis 1758-9, RHP 14107), which shows five buildings. The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Buteshire 1869, Sheet CXCIII) depicts the courtyard steading and another range about 25m to the NW. Further modifications to the steading were made in the late 19th century and are depicted on the 2nd edition of the map (Buteshire 1897, Sheet CXCIII).

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 16 July 2010.

People and Organisations

References