Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 727704

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/727704

NX89SE 10 8917 9012

(NX 8917 9012) Mote & Bailey (NR)

OS 6" map (1957)

A motte and bailey occupying about half the summit of a natural elongated hillock which runs NW-SE and rises to 45' at the higher NW end.

The motte is a simple truncated earthen cone, 14' high set at the NW end of the hillock. The summit c 20' across is circular and dished, with the peripheral mound which is slightly broken on the NW. A slight terrace round the NW end of the natural hillock 20' from the base may be artificial.

The bailey is oblong 66' by 57' broad enclosed by an earthen rampart slight at the sides but massive towards the SE front, through the centre of which has been the entrance. There is no trench between the motte and the bailey.

A ditch 34' wide and 12' deep to the scarp and 4' to the counterscarp crosses the hillock immediately in front of the bailey. This ditch must have crossed by a bridge or drawbridge since there is no gangway.

In 1806 the structure bore the name 'Din-Inis' from which the neighbouring farm Dinning (NX 8924 8988) took its name.

Scots Mag 1806; R M F Watson 1901; RCAHMS 1920, visited 1913.

As described and in good condition.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (SFS) 10 June 1975.

People and Organisations

References