Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 727142

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NX97NE 69 9724 7615.

(Name: NX 9724 7615) Site of New Wark (NR)

OS 1:1056 map (1852)

The New Wark, built in the late 14th century, was a massive stone structure (the O N B, following Chalmers, states that it was built in 1583/5 - possibly some rebuilding took place at that time.) Its purpose may originally have been defensive; it is know to have served both as a prison and a barracks. Most of it was removed in 1764, and what remained was converted into dwelling houses which were in turn pulled down in 1846. It occupied most of what is now Queensberry Square, and part of its vaulting was discovered when digging the foundation of the Duke of Queensberry's monument. More of the vaults were revealed when digging the foundations of a public urinal in 1908.

SBS Dumfries 1977; R Edgar 1915; Name Book 1850; G Chalmers 1824

People and Organisations